Jason Dunstall is a former Australian rules footballer who played for the Hawthorn Football Club and is arguably the greatest Australian rules footballer to come from Queensland.
He is one of only five players to have kicked over 1,000 career goals in the VFL/AFL history and stand behind legends Tony Lockett and Gordon Coventry.
At 188 cm, Dunstall was not an overly tall full-forward and was not known for taking overhead marks. Instead, he used his stocky 100-kilogram frame to out body opponents. Dunstall was a highly accurate and reliable set shot for goal. This, as well as his ability to shrug tackles and snap goals more than made up for his lack of height. One of the most admired aspects of Dunstall’s play was not only his own prolific scoring rate, but also his capacity to set up or unselfishly assist goals by handing the ball off to team mates in better position – handpassing, or shepherding and using his body well to position other players, on some regular basis, to also score goals. This capacity to contribute to the team’s overall performance, both off his own boot and by assisting teammates to kick goals, made him one of the greatest full-forwards to ever pull on a boot.
Dunstall finished his career a four-time premiership player, three-time Coleman Medallist, four-time Peter Crimmins Medallist and 12-time leading goal-kicker for the Hawks. He Captained of the Club from 1995-1998, and was named the full-forward in Hawthorn’s Team of the Century in 2001 and was inducted into the Club’s Hall of Fame in 2005.
In 2002 Dunstall was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.
1985 – 1998 Hawthorne
- 4× VFL/AFL premiership player: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991
- AFLPA MVP (Leigh Matthews Trophy): 1992
- 3× Coleman Medal: 1988, 1989, 1992
- 4× All-Australian team: 1988, 1989, 1992, 1994
- 4× Peter Crimmins Memorial Trophy: 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993
- 12× Hawthorn leading goalkicker: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998
- Hawthorn captain: 1995–1998
- Australian Football Hall of Fame
- Hawthorn Hall of Fame – legend status
- Hawthorn Team of the Century (forward pocket)
- E. J. Whitten Medal: 1989
- Simpson Medal: 1989
- Captain of Allies