Gary Ablett began his playing career at Hawthorne in 1982 but is most famous for his illustrious career with Geelong that spanned from 1984 through to 1997. Gary Ablett Snr was a famous example of a perfect footballer possessing all the skills necessary to dominate Australian football for almost a decade. Referred to as Superman, and God, Ablett was quicker, a better kick (with both feet), a better mark (one or two hands), a higher leaper, stronger and amongst the toughest of anyone to have ever pulled on the boots.
He kicked 1,030 goals during his career and won the Geelong best in fairest in 1984, his first year with the Cats. He was a consistent goal scoring machine winning the Coleman Medal (leading goal kicker) three times – 1993, ’94 and ’95 and also topped the Geelong goal-kicking in 1985, ’86 and ’88.
With all of these accomplishments he was already considered a standout player in the league but his performance in the 1989 Grand final was what demonstrated he was like no one who ever played the game before. On the big stage he earnt him self the norm smith medal by kicking a mammoth 9 goals while also taking several spectacular marks which in these days could have easily classed as a contender for mark of the year.
In 1996, Ablett was named in the AFL Team of the Century on the interchange bench and in 2001, Ablett was named in the Geelong Team of the Century on a half forward flank. In 2005 he was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame (the highest honour which can be bestowed onto an Australian footballer).
1982 Hawthorne, 1984-1997 Geelong
- AFL Team of the Century
- Australian Football Hall of Fame
- Leigh Matthews Trophy (AFLPA MVP Award): 1993
- 3x Coleman Medal: 1993–1995
- 4x All-Australian team: 1992–1995
- 4x VFL/AFL Team of the Year: 1984, 1986, 1989–1990
- Geelong best and fairest: 1984
- Norm Smith Medal: 1989
- 9x Geelong leading goal kicker: 1985–1986, 1988–1990, 1993–1996
- Geelong Football Club Greatest Ever Player Award
- Geelong Team of the Century
- Geelong Captain: 1995–1996
- Mark of the Century: 1994
- 2x Mark of the Year: 1985, 1994
- Geelong Football Club Hall of Fame
- Geelong Player of the National Era: 1984–1996
- Australian Sports Medal: 2000
- Centenary Medal: 2001
- Captain of Victoria: 1995
- Victoria Team of the 20th Century